Uninsured (UM) Underinsured (UIM) Motorist Coverage in Texas

If you are involved in an accident with another driver who does not have insurance or does not have sufficient insurance to cover your damages, you should determine whether you have uninsured motorist coverage (UM) or underinsured motorist coverage (UIM). In Texas, if you purchase UM/UIM, your insurance company will assist with payment for your damages – up to the policy limits — if the other driver does not have insurance or sufficient insurance to compensate you for all damages.

Uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage may apply in the following situations:

(1) UM/UIM coverage may apply if you are in a vehicle and the other vehicle does not have insurance or sufficient insurance;

(2) UM/UIM coverage may apply in a hit and run accident;

(3) UM/UIM coverage may apply if you are hit by a motor vehicle as a pedestrian;

(4) UM/UIM coverage may apply if you are hit by a car while traveling on a bicycle;

(5) UM/UIM coverage may be applicable if you are a passenger in another vehicle and the driver does not have sufficient insurance.

Although it is the law in Texas to maintain insurance for a motor vehicle, many drivers do not have insurance. You should check with your own insurance company after an accident to determine whether you have UM/UIM coverage.

Author Information: Stephen Daniel is an attorney practicing personal injury law in Ellis County, Texas and works for Jenkins & Jenkins, P.C.

If you are an attorney practicing in Ellis County and you would like to publish an article on elliscountybar.org that would benefit the citizens of Ellis County in understanding the law or the legal process, please contact the Ellis County Bar Association by clicking here.

© Copyright Official Ellis County Bar Association Website -StephenDaniel